This is the time of year when all of us, or at least us self-involved, sensitive writing types, think about how we can make this upcoming year the best ever. This is an exciting time of year and it’s also kind of scary. We can’t be the writer we want to be if we keep doing the things we’ve always done. We’re going to have to make some changes. Sigh.
This week’s list is the Top Ten Tricky Things You May Have To Do In Order To Achieve Your Goals.
1. You may have to say no to the expectations of others.
2. You may have to write down a plan and stick with it.
3. You may have to go to bed earlier or get up earlier to find time to write.
4. You may have to make writing a priority even though you’ve never treated it as one.
5. You may have to lower expectations for other areas, like housekeeping or meals.
6. You may have to sacrifice. You may have to ask others to sacrifice. This may get uncomfortable.
7. You may have to express your needs to your spouse or significant other.
8. You may need to learn a new organizing tool or system in order to reap the benefits.
9. You may have to lower your expectations. You can’t get 2 hours of writing time in so settle for 10 minutes. You can’t keep up with Twitter and Pinterest and Facebook, so you choose one.
10. You may have to go easy on yourself in some areas. You may have to kick yourself in the pants in others.
Not everyone will have to do this, but some will. Regardless of whether or not these things apply to your situation, you will have to find YOUR tricky things and look them head on, and do them even if you struggle. Even if you fail. Your dreams are worth it.