In our series on Love Your Reader, Love Your Art, Love Yourself, we didn’t have time to discuss the importance of good design in your self published works. If you went to all the trouble of editing and proofreading, of character development and plot, you should put just as much care into your book’s first impression.
1. First, take a look at these covers listed on BuzzFeed and make some notes: Things That Make Designers Cringe
2. This informative post shows exactly why somethings work and some things don’t. Habits of Bad Graphic Designers
3. And everybody needs example of what not to do. Lousy Book Covers website!
4. Just because you have a bad cover, doesn’t mean you’re a bad writer. Embarrassingly Bad Book Covers for Classic Novels
5. And even Penguin can make a mistake in a book cover. You will never look at Charlie and The Chocolate Factory the same way.
6. A graphic designer goes into details as to why some graphic elements work and some don’t. This is worth reading, especially if you’re designing yourself.
Call me anal retentive, but the F and I should not get so cozy here.
7. The same blogger from Lousy Book Covers, (number 3 of this list) was featured on Huffington Post and gives us more examples of what not to do!
9. Some of my all time favorite bad book covers. This one is my favorite.
10. And the last thing on the Top 10 List is a Top Ten List! Ten Ways To Create A Bad Book Cover.