• #MagicalMarketing,  #SellingMySoul,  Community,  Self Talk

The Real Reasons You May Hate Marketing And What You Can Do About It

The reasons you hate marketing may have to do with real fears and anxieties. But you can overcome them.  You poor, poor writers. You pour your heart and soul into your books. You create these magical worlds, these vibrant, three dimensional characters, these intricate plots, these thrilling stories that culminate in an figurative or literal explosion of action and dialogue that leaves your readers breathless, weepy and ready to plunk down more dough for the next installment. And if your reader is going to read it, you have get it in front of the public eye. The truth? We’d rather not let it be seen. We’d rather hide behind our computer…

• #Top10Tuesday,  Community,  Marketing

#Top10Tuesday Top Ten Local Resources That Could Help You Sell Books

The first rule of marketing is finding the right people who want what you have to sell. And the truth is that selling books is hard. But assuming that your book is an excellent one, it’s free of grammatical and artistic errors, it has a nice, professional cover and you’ve done all you can do to make it a great book then you can sell it. But first, you may need to start small and have low expectations. Starting small may mean starting locally. Your connections in your hometown might be a great place to begin your sales. This week’s #Top10Tuesday list is all about local places your book could be welcome.…

• #Top10Tuesday,  Beautiful Words,  Community,  Reading

Top 10 Tuesdays! Top 10 Ways To Love Your Local Library

It seems fitting to me to incorporate a tribute to libraries in my theme of Beautiful Words. Where else can you get access to free  beauty?   My local libraries have been very generous in helping me with author signings and events. I’d like to suggest the sooner you start loving your local library (and the people who work there) the better your relationship and the more help they’ll give you in your marketing goals. 1. Bring them a treat.  Showing up with cookies or donuts just to say thank you would almost always be welcome. 2. Donate your books. Libraries differ on their donations policy, so it’s better to ask…

• Author Profile,  Community,  Inspiration,  Perils of a Mom Writer,  What 10 Minute Novelists Means To Me

What 10 Minute Novelists Means To Me A Guest Post By Carolyn Astfalk

A year ago, I had four children ten and under, including a barely one-year-old and his two-year-old sister. Since late 2010, I had written three novels, all of which were “complete,” or so I thought at the time. Writing time was—and is—whenever I can grab it amid diaper changes, snacks, reading board books, sorting laundry, and all the mundane but necessary details of maintaining a household and caring for young children. Throw in some volunteer activities, and, yes, my husband, and whatever minutes I could cobble together for an uninterrupted task did not add up to much. In other words, I could have been the poster child for 10 Minute…

• Community,  Interviews With Authors,  What 10 Minute Novelists Means To Me

What “10 Minute Novelist” Means to Me A Guest Post by Rebecca Waters

When I first came to the 10 Minute Novelist group I wasn’t sure I would be a good fit. Ten Minute Novelist. What did that mean? Write a novel in only ten minutes a day? Sure. Use ten-minute intervals or snatches of time every day? Yes. Or was it for writers like me who can only sit still for ten minutes at a time? Of course. What I found was a community of writers trying to fit in their passion for writing into any bit of time they could carve out of an already busy schedule. I found an honest group of writers muddling through the process of writing…

• Community,  Uncategorized

UnWrapping Love! An Anthology by The Writing Wenches (And 10 Minute Novelists)

On December 1, a group of women, and one man they affectionately call “the barkeep,” who call themselves the Writing Wenches pulled off a pretty major accomplishment. They released an anthology collection of twenty-one holiday themed short romance stories, in a single volume, called Unwrapping Love. It took months of coordination, effort, writing, editing, formatting, cover designing, and marketing to pull this off. In the end, they put together a project that was unique in its scope. The reviews have been amazing, and I’m really proud of this group, that had its start in the 10 Minute Novelists group. When I asked them what led them to want to work…

• Community

How I Found Writing Community by Jennifer Senhaji

Author Jennifer Senhaji sees the value in community for authors. She describes the groups she found through social media. Relatively new to the writing community, I had no idea there were so many people out there in the world that I could connect with online. Open minded, wonderful writers, published and not yet published, who support each other. I have stumbled upon a few writing groups that have become so important to me, I don’t know how I have done without them until now.  Twitter is my favorite platform for making new connections. Through Twitter, I found the first group I joined called 10 Minute Novelists that commune on Facebook and…

• Community,  Inspiration,  Motivation

Why Writers’ Community Is Like Icing On A Big, Delicious Cake (And Why You Want As Much As You Can Get!)

How do you know if you are a rich writer? If we are rich writers, we use words like Paula Deen uses butter and cream. We liberally pour  out our ideas and our vision into our paragraphs and prose. We add in sweetness and flavor and texture who we are and what we care about in every book. We sculpt our words together like sugary icing roses along a cake and we present our final, finished projects as grand feasts for the world, allowing our readers to savor each morsel and each portion.  If we are rich writers, the solitary act of creating is a full and satisfying one. But…

• #RunWrite5K Challenge,  Community,  Discipline,  Motivation

Top 10 Reasons To Run Walk Write 5K

It was there, on my calendar, a Saturday in October, I would be running my first 5K. I had written in big red letters 5K But in writing circles a 5K is not a road race. 5K means 5000 words. That’s a lot in one day for anyone to write. I average 1000 fresh words a day and sometimes it’s a challenge to get it in. And because I’m a writer and not a math major, I’m guessing that 5000 words is a whole lot more. What if these two great tastes tasted great together? Could I run a 5K and write 5K in the same day? What a challenge…

• Community,  Craft

Do-It-Yourself Writers’ Conferences For The Poor And Xenophobic

It happened again. Another fall has arrived and you will not be going to a writer’s conference.  I’ve been trying to get to the ACFW conference in September every fall for the last five years and I’m not any closer now than I was five years ago.  I did, however, get to go to the marketing seminar hosted by my agent’s firm. While it was cozy and fun and certainly educational, it’s not a BIG CONFERENCE like ACFW or RWA. Because I can’t go, I can do one of two things. One option is to mope around and feel sorry for myself and decide that watching the new fall television…