Are Your Dreams Worth Finding the Time?
Writing a novel takes hard work. It takes order, discipline, and planning. It takes courage, determination, and tenacity. Anyone can do it, even if they have only ten minutes a day. (How do I know this? I wrote a novel in 10-minute increments. Hence the name of this blog!)
Sometimes we think that we also need long, uninterrupted hours, an isolated cabin in the woods, a whiskey habit and a carton of Marlboros to be a writer too. But we don’t. Sometimes we need to stop thinking about how much different our life is from the idealized writer life is and just do what we can. We may have been in the habit of thinking that we can’t write at all unless conditions are perfect, the kids are more cooperative and inspiration strikes.
But I’m here to tell you that there are no such things as perfect conditions for writing.
There are, however, writers out there who make the most of what they do have and accomplish their dreams in less than ideal increments. I call these folks 10 Minute Novelists.
Are you a 10 Minute Novelist? Ask yourself these questions and see!
1. The baby wakes you at 4:30 and after you settle him back down, your first thought is “How many words can I get in before the whole family wakes up?”
2. While watching a crime show, a prosecutor mentions “solitary!” Your first thought? Solitary confinement? That sounds heavenly! I could get so much done there!
3. You’ve said to yourself “one of these days when I have the time, I’ll get that book written!” Except that you’ve said it so many times no one believes you.
4. You treasure time alone in the bathroom to collect your thoughts and you may have a notebook and pen stashed somewhere just in case you get inspired.
5. You mistakenly think that real writers live in isolated cabins with hours to pursue their dreams. Your life doesn’t look like that, so you don’t think you’re a writer.
6. You keep thinking that someday all of the conditions will be perfect for you to write.
7. Somebody once told you that you had talent, but you’ve never found a way to express yourself in writing. And that kind of bugs you. And you don’t know where to begin. Click this to find out how to squeeze in ten minutes to pursue those dreams of yours!
If any of these are true about you then you may be a 10 Minute Novelist. That means that you are a time-crunched writer with big, big dreams.
Join our Facebook group to meet hundreds of writers from all over the world who are just like you. This is such a cool place to hang out, that Writer’s Digest named us one of the best websites for writers in 2016, 2018, and 2019. Many of us are just starting out on our writing adventures. Some of us are very experienced. Some of us have book deals and agents. All of us though know what it’s like to squeeze writing goals around a busy life. Want to start finding an extra 10 minutes today? Here’s how!
Your dreams are worth 10 Minutes. Find them. Put down some words.